First Dive Computer With Ultrasonic Communication Hits the Market
Swedish-made dive computer the Oceans S1 Supersonic, which features an ultrasonic buddy-to-buddy underwater communication system, has launched on the open market following a successful Kickstarter-funded campaign supported by Fabien Cousteau.
Divers can signal their buddies with a single button-push, and notifications are received in the form of haptic vibrations and a visual message on the computer’s screen, naming the diver who sent the alert. Up to eight computers can be linked together and signals can be transmitted over a distance of 20m underwater.
The computer is accompanied by the Oceans app, available for both Apple and Android smart devices. Dive logs can be synced via Bluetooth to the app, which will intelligently geolocate and tag the dives. Photos from the dive can be added to the logbook, and the Oceans app also features an AI filter which will automatically colour correct pictures to restore their ‘true’ underwater colours.
Other features include a 3D digital compass for navigation and a reduced-glare night mode for blackwater diving. Air, recreational nitrox and apnea modes are available, utilising a Buhlmann ZHL-16C with gradient factors algorithm. The computer is pressure-tested to 100m (330ft), although the recommended maximum depth for use is 50m (160ft).
The Oceans S1 is completely wireless, charges using a standard Qi charger (not included), with a battery life of up to 10 hours underwater. The computer is available in ‘Oceans Yellow’, ‘Shallow Blue’, ‘Living Coral’, and ‘Abysmal Black’ – colour schemes.
- Dimensions: 60x60x20mm
- Weight: 95g
- Screen: 2,2” colour LED
- Ultrasonic communication range of 15-20m (50ft)
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 3-axis digital compass
- Haptic feedback (vibration)
- Battery: ~10 hours diving / ~1-year standby
- Qi Wireless charging (Charger not included)
- Algorithm: Buhlmann ZHL-16C with gradient factors
- Diving modes: Air, Nitrox (21-40), Apnea
- Altitude diving adjustments
- Pressure tested to 100m (330ft), max depth 50m (160ft) recommended.
- Syncing: wireless over Bluetooth to the Oceans iOS/Android app
- Internal logbook storage: 500 dives or 80 hours
Oceans S1 Supersonic is currently priced at €499. For more information and to order online, visit www.oceans.io.